Wednesday, July 10, 2013

121. I Got My Temporary Relief - Hearing


We had a temporary relief hearing today in front of Judge Marx at the Palm Beach County court in Palm Beach Gardens.

Mark's attorney showed up and was out in the lobby waiting with us as we were waiting for our turn to go in.

We chatted with her for awhile about what I wanted for the order.  I need to be able to have court ordered power of attorney to make business decisions for the companies and also my house.  Then we got called into the room.  The jail didn't let Mark come.  I'm glad.  It makes me sick every time I have to see him.

The bailiff called the court to order.  The judge came in and read the file.  She asked verified that this was a temporary relief hearing. Mark's attorney got up and said, "Yes, but also I had filed a motion to withdraw as Mr. Walter's attorney."  Judge Marx looked at her file again.  She told Mark's attorney, "There is nothing in this file for that motion. We won't be hearing that today."  It looked like someone had punched Mark's attorney in the stomach.

The judge then went on about my request for temporary relief.  My attorney, Curtis, got up and explained everything that was going on.  Mark is in jail.  I have to run the company.  I also have to short sell the house.  I need a power of attorney to do so.

Judge Marx asked if Mark's attorney had discussed all of this with Mark and if he had any objections.  Mark's attorney told the judge she had spoken to him and he was fine with it.  Curtis looked at me and I right back at him.  We both new this wasn't true.  My daughter, Kristin, has told me for the past several weeks that Mark had been complaining that he can never reach his attorney.  She also wouldn't return his calls.  Of course, we didn't say anything.  The judge granted my full order.

When we left the courtroom Curtis said, "Did you notice in there how Mark's attorney threw him under the bus?"  I nodded and said, "Yes.  And, I don't think that was legal.  But, I certainly wasn't going to say anything."

At least now I have the authority to close on the house without worry about Mark's OK or signature.  Temporary Relief Order is really a relief.

No comments:

Post a Comment