Saturday, September 7, 2013

130. A New Beginning - Riley Enters Our Life


Megan and I have been in our new place for 3 days.  For some reason we both had an overwhelming urge to get a kitten.

How we ended up with her is quite a story.  It was like it was meant to be.

I had been searching for several days through the different pet adoption agencies.  It just so happened that very weekend there was a 24 hour event called Catery Night Fever that was going on.

Megan and I decided to go, but she had to be at work on Saturday by 1 PM.  So, we decided we would go to Petsmart where they were holding the first adoptions in the morning.  Then we would go after she got off work to the big event.

We got to Petsmart and they did have kittens there.  All of them were 5 months old and older.  I know that isn't old, but I really wanted a very young kitten so it would group up with and learn to get along with my 6 year old dachshund, Bailey and my 18 year old African Grey parrot, Muffin.  And, to be quite honest, none of them 'tugged at my heart.  I grew up with Siamese cats.  I know when you adopt a cat and don't get a purebred.  I wanted at least to 'feel something' with the kitten we chose.  So we left.

It was still very early so we decided to go to Peggy Adams Animal Shelter.  We parked in front of the shelter and went in.  When we got to the counter the lady told us we were in the wrong place.  She said adoptions were in the other building on the other side of the complex.  So, we went back to the car to drive to the other building.  My car wouldn't start.  I just couldn't believe it.  We went back inside and asked if the lady had jumper cables.  She said she didn't but her mom did who worked there too.  The lady brought out the jumper cables and hooked them up, but my car wouldn't start.  I had no choice but to call a tow truck.

The tow truck company told me it would be at least an hour before they could be there.  We decided to walk over to the adoption area while we waited to take a look.  Megan went directly to the front cages where all of the kittens were.  I walked to the other side.  Directly in front of me was this big plastic pedestal. Inside was this absolutely adorable Siamese kitten all by herself.

I tried to get Megan's attention.  She finally came over and saw her.  We both were head over heels with this little girl. I went over to the counter and asked about her.  The lady told me that unfortunately "Lulu" had already been adopted, but that the owners hadn't come to get her.  Then she added, "Lulu had a cold when they picked her out.  She had to be under a doctors care for the past 3 days."   I think she could tell by the look on our faces how upset we were. We walked back to my car feeling pretty down.

We stood by the car for about 10 minutes.  I told Megan I was going to go back and talk with the woman just to see if there was anything at all I could do.  Megan came with me.  I talked to the lady again.  She told me that they were supposed to be there that morning at 10:00 AM to pick the kitten up.  They hadn't showed.  She said she had called and informed them that if they didn't call back by 2 PM that Lulu would be put up for adoption again.  All of a sudden both Megan and I were excited again  It was obvious to the woman how much we wanted her.  So, she said let me have you fill out all of the paperwork.  If they don't come you'll be next on the list.  She told me to give her a call after 2 PM.  I did as she asked and was able to meet with the adoption counselor before the tow truck arrived.  It showed up about 10 minutes after we were done,  Then we left.

The tow truck driver was a super nice guy.  He took us to the only place that was open at 1 PM, Midas.  Fortunately, they were able to figure out it was my battery and some other part that had gone bad, but they could replace them.  They said it would take about an hour.  Megan was already late for work and we had no way to get her there.  I was going to call a cab for her, but then she reached my step-son Ryan.  He came to get her and I waited there.  I was very anxious.  I kept looking at the clock just waiting for 2 PM to come around.  After what seemed like an eternity it finally did.

I was holding my breath when I made the call.  The lady told me that they had not called back or come in to get her.  She was ours!  Now it seemed like another eternity to wait for my car to be finished.  I was able to leave an hour later.  I stopped by Kmart before I went back to Peggy Adams to get a bunch of kitten stuff,. Then I went to get the kitten.

They had put her name as Lola - that's what Megan and I decided to call her - on all of the paperwork. As I was standing there signing out the final forms the kitten was playing like crazy.  She has quite the personality. The lady behind the counter said, "Wow she is all riled up."  I looked at her and thought to myself she really is.  She isn't a Lola at all.  She's a Riley.

I put the kitten in the new carrier and went straight to Megan's work.  I told her about the name change.  She agreed with it 100%.  She was so excited that she took Riley all over her store to show her off.  Finally I brought her home to meet her new furry and feathered brother and sister.

I know it sounds crazy, but I am so thankful my car broke down.  If it hadn't I might have just left after they told me Riley was already adopted.  Since I was stuck there anyway I was able to think about it and gave it another shot.  It worked.  Riley was meant to be ours.

She is such a little joy.  She really makes both us so happy.  I know getting any type of new pet brings happiness.  But, for me she is a new part of my life, part of my new beginning, in my new home, that Mark has never been a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment