Thursday, January 9, 2014

150. How Do You Cope With Feeling Betrayed?

Chris, my son-in-law, will talk to me about Mark every once and awhile at work when the other guys are out on jobs and we are alone.  Sometimes it's about what to do with the company (bankruptcy), other times it's about the trial.  Most of the time it's about something that happened when Kristin has visited Mark.  Today it was about the latter.

Chris said that when Kristin went to see Mark last Sunday at the video center he asked her questions.  He wanted to know if she thought I wouldn't testify against him.  Chris said Kristin told him that she can't speak for me.

The inmates that are haven't actually physically assaulted, or murdered get out of solitary a couple of times a week to watch TV together for a few hours.  And, of course, during that time the guys 'talk'.  It seems the other inmates told Mark that he should find a way to ask me to 'drop the charges' and/or not testify against him so he can get out on probation and not go to prison.  I guess Mark forgot about when he tried to do this before.  I can't drop the charges.  I didn't file them.  The states attorney did.

But wait.... There's more...

Chris said he had more to tell me.  But, he said Kristin made him promise that he wouldn't tell anyone.  He said he would tell me, but only if I swore I wouldn't let her, or the state's attorney know what happened.

Just great.  He's going to break his promise to Kristin by telling me.  But, if I want to know what happened then I can't break my promise to him and tell anyone.  How does that work?  Of course I wanted to know what happened.  I had to make the promise to him.  I didn't want to, but I had to know.  So, he told me.

Kristin received mail from Mark on Tuesday, 2 days after her visit last.  Chris said he only knew about it because the letter was sitting on the dryer when he walked in.  The letter's are clearly marked in red that this letter is from an inmate.  I guess Kristin had just got home and had just opened it, but hadn't read it yet. Chris read it.

Inside the envelope there were 4 letters.  One was to Kristin with instructions.  The other 3 were marked, "To Whom It May Concern" on each.  Chris read all of the letters.  He said that even though the titles had no name that it was very clear by what was in the letters who they were written to.  One was to Chris.  One was to Megan.  And, the last was to me.

Chris summarized the letter in a nutshell. He said my letter started with a lot of reminiscing, apologies and 'remember when we loved each other.'  He said later in the letter he actually asks me to drop the charges, or not testify.

I asked Chris where the letters were now and he said he didn't know.  He thought that Kristin might have thrown them out.  He said she told him she wasn't giving the letter to anyone.  She didn't want him to get into more trouble and she didn't want me to be upset.

I could feel myself starting to shake.  I wasn't clear as to what I was feeling, anger, fear, or sadness.  How can my daughter do this?  Doesn't she realize he is manipulating her?  Can't she see this is evidence that I should have?

Mark has been in jail for nearly a year and still has no problem violating the protection order.   If you remember many of his calls were 'call-blocked' because he believed they couldn't be traced as he had stated in some of the messages.  So, this letter to me being addressed to  "To Whom It May Concern" clearly shows he is in the exact mental condition as the day he went in.  He is still trying to manipulate the system. He is still trying to get to me.  He is still violating his restraining order.

But, my daughter decided not to tell me.  And, I'm supposed to pretend I don't know about it.

I need to wrap my head around this.  I'm just not sure how I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment