Wednesday, October 9, 2013

133. The States Attorney Prepares Me For Trial


Today I had a meeting with the States Attorney, Jenica.  She is back from maternity leave and is back on my case.

The purpose of the meeting was to prepare me for trial on October 28th.  I asked her about the offer that was still on the table.  She said she was going to put an expiration date on the offer of October 17th.  If he did not accept by that date it would be gone.


Jenica also told me she would have never made that offer to Mark.  She said it was far less then she would have offered.

She told me that the trial would be pretty close to a repeat of the hearing back on May 20th.   However, unlike that hearing she told me at trial she cannot bring up anything at all about Mark's brother killing his wife and himself, or anything about him killing my bird.  She said the judge would find that too prejudicial to Mark. I told her, "Of course that would be harmful to him, but it's the truth!"  She explained it wouldn't matter.  She further said if anyone brought anything up about it there could be a mistrial.

Jenica could clearly see I was upset.  She wanted to calm me down.  She said, "Look, all I have to do is prove that Mark violated his restraining order for him to be found guilty aggravated stalking."  She said, "It's going to be a no brainier since he violated the restraining order 41 times after it was served.  And honestly, all I have to do is hit 'play' and we've won."

I'll admit she did make me feel a lot better.  Now we just have to get to trial.

No comments:

Post a Comment