Monday, January 21, 2013

40. Mr. Hyde Makes His Thoughts Known


Today is Martin Luther King's birthday.  Chris took the day off to spend with his mom who is still visiting from Australia.  It was very slow at the shop as most companies and agencies are closed.  We decided to close the shop at 1:30 PM since we didn't have any calls.  I figured it would be a good morale booster for the guys.  I also thought it would give me a chance to go back to the house and keep on cleaning.  After being at the house cleaning on Saturday I could plainly see what I was up against.  So, I took long rubber gloves and a mask with me.

I could tell something was not quite right from the moment I arrived.  Mark was not the jovial Dr. Jekyl from Saturday.  I tried to brush it off that I might just be paranoid.  He asked me to take him to the store to get some groceries.  You need to remember he has no cash, no debit card (he lost it), no drivers license (he lost it), and no real usable vehicle.  I don't know if I previously mentioned that he blew up the engine of his car.

As we were going through the market it became very apparent that Mark was quite manic today.  He was acting very edgy and abrupt.  While we were walking down one isle he blurted out something about the All-Safe van not running right.  I told him that it really wasn't an issue, because of the "agreement" we were going to make that he wouldn't be driving an All-safe van anymore due to liability purposes.

Enter Mr. Hyde, "I started All-Safe and have ran it for the past 28 years.  Why wouldn't I have an All-Safe van and why wouldn't I make decisions for the company???"  I swear I wanted to scream.  Instead, I very calmly said, "Remember?  You are going on disability and retiring?  Remember the discussion we had two days ago at dinner?"  He didn't answer and walked down another isle. I still don't know if he even remembered the conversation at dinner.  I realized my 'idea' was probably history.  Now my mood went totally south as well.

 Mark was putting things in the basket that were very unnecessary and quite costly.  I did my best to remove items without him seeing me do it. Nevertheless, when we finally checked out the bill came to $300.  I gasped and he chuckled.  He said, "$300 and I didn't even get my normal steak and lobster."  We didn't even spend that much when I lived with him.  My mood was getting more sour by the minute.

When we got back to the house he went out to put some salt in the water softener   It  seems one of the people he hired at the house, a plumber we endearingly call 'sniffles' because he sniffs non-stop (probably from cocaine) must have done something while working, because the water softener no longer works correctly.  You are supposed to only have to add one 40 pound bag a month.  Now, a 40 pound bag last just over one day.  It's just one more item that is now broken in the house since I left.

Mark came back in and mumbled something about Paulie was supposed to be here.  Paulie is one of the 'workers' that is taking advantage of Mark.  He charges double for his labor and Mark pays it.  When Mark is manic he basically 'buys company' to be with him.  He is lonely and at least this way he has people out to see him.  He doesn't like being alone.  Unfortunately, the only people that want to be around him want to be paid.  And, they all take advantage of his condition.  We went through this exact same thing in 2003 when he was manic back then.  Mark was angry at me for kicking Paulie out a few weeks before and told him not to come back.  So far he hadn't.

I had put on my gloves and mask and proceeded to start cleaning the kitchen.  It was now a little after 3 PM.     I knew we would never sell this house if it was not cleaned up.  I spent over 6 hours cleaning the 'front' part of the kitchen - from the island, the side counters, the sink, the dishes, the windows and all of the appliances.

Mark spent that 6 hours playing music and walking in and out of the house.  When I say 'playing music' I mean BLASTING IT so loud that it hurt my head.  He was still in his Mr. Hyde mode and very paranoid.  It seems Mr. Hyde was convinced I was trying to 'steal' his company from him.  I will admit all of this put me in a very crappy mood.  I was literally cleaning my ass off why he sat there.  I had to keep asking myself, "Why am I doing this?"  I kept hoping Dr. Jekyl would show up, but there was no such luck.

After 9 PM and 6 hours of off and on verbal abuse I had enough.  The kitchen was now sparkling clean (just the front of the kitchen - the back of it where the table and the hutches were I never got to).  Mark saw I was packing up and said, "Go ahead and take a shower in our bathroom." I told him no thanks I would do it at home.  He insisted.  I again declined.  He got mad. He again insisted.  I told him that I would take a shower at my place and that my clothes were there.  He now got furious and said, " QUIT LYING!!!" You have clothes here!!!"  I explained that those were very old clothes that I do not wear anymore.  Plus, I didn't want to take a shower right now.

I grabbed my stuff and walked to my car.  Jet (the puppy) came running out and tripped me as I was walking around the car.  I fell back and stepped on his paw.  He yelped.  I tried to get my footing and he tripped me again.  I stepped on his paw again.  He yelped again.  Mark screamed, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY DOG?"  I started to explain that Jet tripped me, but then realized there was really no point.  I got in the car and went home.

So, at least for now, my "brainstorm idea" is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment