Saturday, April 27, 2013

94. Diana Rae Walter No More

Did I ever tell you back in January my old attorney, Robin, had asked me if I wanted to change my name?

I told her no.   At the time I was such an emotional basket case.  And, to be quite honest, I still was trying to figure out a way to "rescue" Mark.  Teaching an enabler how not to enable is a long journey.  But, I digress.

Somewhere in all of the barrage of recordings, Facebook messages, text messages, and emails he informed me I did not "deserve" to have his last name.  I ignored that statement (for the reasons explained above) until now.

When I was in Curtis office on April 22nd I asked him if it was still possible to change my name. I didn't want to do it if it was going to be a big hassle now since I had waited.  Curtis informed me it was super simple. A name change would take place when the divorce is final.

I had been thinking about this for a few weeks now.  It would be easier to keep his name, for sure.  After all, I have been a Walter for close to 18 years now.  With everything I have been though and thinking about his comment, I thought to myself, why should I keep his name?

I thought about what would I change it to?  I certainly don't want to use my ex's name.  I mean, I could take the girls father's name, Belden.  But, that was a tragedy too. Plus he is dead.  If the girls were small I might consider it, but they are adults. So, the choice turned out to be relatively simple.  I'll go back to my maiden name, Rogers.

Megan was thrilled with my decision.  Kristin not so much.

I got a legal document in the mail today sent by Curtis to the court requesting the change.  When I showed it to Kristin she wasn't happy at all.  We got into an argument about my decision.  She just couldn't understand why I would want to do that at all.  Kristin may be 30, but sometimes I feel like she is more like a child that want her parents to 'work things out.'  There is no working anything out.  I am done with the abuse.  It's time to care about myself.

We all know it is impossible to turn back the hands of time.  However, in my case, since I have to start all over again, I might as well start fresh - back at the beginning.  Maybe this time I can get things right.

No comments:

Post a Comment