Friday, April 19, 2013

90. John Relays A Message From Mark


This morning was very quiet at work again.  It has been so slow the past week and it is getting very scary.  I pray a lot.  I am sure it is a lull as we have sometimes.  At least I hope that is all it is.  I have enough to worry about then have to worry if I can pay my employees,  I finally took Mark off the payroll.  We just cannot afford paying someone who isn't there.  Now unfortunately my house will go into foreclosure.

My counseling appointment was today at noon.  John (the barber) called our shop around 11:15 AM and was talking to Chris.  I assumed he had read the transcripts and listened to the recordings and was calling about that.  But, then Chris told me John wanted to speak to me.

I answered the phone then asked him if he had listened to the recordings.  He said, "I listened to a couple.  There upset me too much to listen to the rest."  I thought to myself, "I can understand that.  I lived it.  It IS very disturbing."

All of a sudden John said to me, "Mark really loves you, you know?  He is very sorry for what he did.  Mark told me to tell you he will do anything you ask to save your marriage."

I sat there stunned for a couple of minutes.  John asked, "Did you hear what I said?"  I told him, "I heard you.  I just can't believe I heard what you said.  John, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell I will ever go back to Mark Walter."  John responded, "Really?  You won't give him a chance even though you been together for 18 years?  You'll just throw that all away?"

At this point I really didn't know what to say.  I was dumbfounded.  I just told John that I had to leave for my counseling appointment (which was true) and we hung up.

While I was driving to my counseling appointment I could feel my heart was pounding, partly from stress and partly from anger at what just transpired.  Here were the thoughts racing through my head:

1. What kind of person would ask a victim to go back to her abuser even after they had heard the 'evidence' of proof of abuse and death threats?

2. Is it really possible that there are some people in this world that think just because you have been married for a very long time that a victim should 'just hang in there' just for the sake of saving a marriage?

3. Did he understand he was acting as a 3rd party in violating the restraining order by 'relaying that message from Mark'?

I will admit I was very grateful my appointment was right after this happened.  I talked to Amber about all of this.  She helped calm my nerves.  She explained that yes, there are people that have there own 'issues' and to work through them the will enable others (Mark) to feel better about themselves.  She also mentioned that Mark knows exactly the people to pick to manipulate into helping him.

After the session I went back to work.  On my way home from work I called Dixie and explained the events of the day.  Dixie was furious to hear what John said to me.  She told me that if John ever did that again just let him know he is 'aiding in committing a felony.'

I'm just glad today is over.  It was too stressful.

No comments:

Post a Comment