Wednesday, March 13, 2013

66. Permanent Restraining Order - Judge Krista Marx

Judge Krista Marx

Once again Mark went silent on Tuesday the 12th.  I didn't receive a single phone call, email, nothing.  On Wednesday my court appearance was set at 8:30 AM in front of Judge Marx in the Palm Beach County courthouse North Division in Palm Beach Gardens.

I was met in the lobby by Susan, my Victims Advocate, Susan.  There was a lot of other people in the waiting area around me.  Susan told me to wait there and Kathryn, my legal aide attorney, would be with me in a bit.

I had wondered and worried whether Mark would show up.  He didn't.  What seemed like an eternity was really only about 40 minutes.  The Sheriff came over and told me it was my turn to go in.


It turns out that Kathryn had already been in there pleading my case to Judge Marx.  When I was seated I was asked to take the 'oath.'  Kathryn then asked me a ton of questions like, "Did Mark Walter threaten your life?  Did he threaten to slice you open?  Did he state he already had a 'hole' to bury you in?  Did he kill your parrot?  Is there a history of murder/suicide in his family.  Does he suffer from mental instability?"  There were many more questions like that.

She then asked me if I feared for my life.  I explained that I was terrified.  I further told her I believed that if given the opportunity Mark would carry out these threats.  Kathryn then asked the judge for an 'open' restraining order.  I didn't know what that meant.

Judge Marx turned and looked at me.  She said, "Mrs.Walter, I have never issued an open restraining order in all of my years with this court.  The normal time for a restraining order is 2 years max.  But, Mrs. Walter,  I am issuing an open restraining order for the first time after hearing these recordings.  I believe you are right.  You are in danger.  Please remember that a restraining order is just a piece of paper.  It cannot stop a bullet. I suggest you get some protection and also take self defense classes."

The judge also told me she would be issuing a bench warrant for Mark's arrest for not showing up to court.
I thanked Judge Marx and Kathryn and I walked out.  Kathryn had another case, so Susan came to get me and she hugged me.  I asked her, "What does an open restraining order mean?"  Susan explained, "It's permanent."  Most people have to have a restraining order renewed.  They made an exception for me.  The only way it can be revoked is if I ask for it to be.

I was relieved, but also mindful of what Judge Marx said.  I decided I was going to go to the next gun show and buy myself a gun and be trained.

After court I went to work.  I think everyone was relieved she granted the order.  All morning had been quiet from Mark as far as messages.  In fact, for the rest of the day it was quiet.  That is until evening came...

No comments:

Post a Comment