Friday, March 15, 2013

69. I Started State Counseling Today

Amber

Today was my first counseling session with the State's Victim counseling Service.  Meet Amber.  She is as nice as she looks.  But, man is she also one smart cookie.

In today's session I mostly had to fill out paperwork.  I was able to tell her a bit about my life with Mark.  She explained to me that victims of domestic abuse suffer from PTSD.  It was very hard for me to wrap my head around.  Isn't that the thing that happens to Military people after being in war?  After speaking with her I learned that isn't the case.

My last counselor didn't make me feel as she understood what I was going through.  Nor did she seem to know what to do to help me.  Amber is trained in crisis counseling and domestic abuse.  Just in this first session it was apparent to me she understands what I am going through.

I'm looking forward to seeing her.  My appointments are every week on Friday's.

No comments:

Post a Comment